V LOVE YOU, GAGA! CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE TO THE MOTHER MONSTER, AND READ ON FOR 8 REASONS TO BUY TICKETS TO HER #ARTRAVE, ON TOUR NOW (AS IF YOU NEEDED ANY)
May 14th, 2014. YASS! Last night Mother Monster brought her artRAVE: The Artpop Tour to New York City, and you guys, she totally killed it. For anyone who may have been wondering how the Haus of Gaga could turn Madison Square Garden—a giant, seated venue—into an intimate rave, V compiled a little step-by-step analysis of how our reigning queen of pop made the impossible possible:
1. ALL RAINBOW EVERYTHING. With a translucent stage that reflected light, the venue became a luminescent display of every possible hue a little monster could hope for—not to mention Gaga’s costumes, which included sequins of every shade, and all-neon raverwear, complete with painted dreads for the final number.
2. THAT STAGE! The biggest obstacle for an artist at such a large venue is how to reach the fans in the back—but with a stage that branched out and cut through mosh pits to reach just about every edge of the stadium, there wasn’t a bad seat in the house.
3. A PLANET CALLED VENUS. With blow up trees that shot out of the stage in an underwater-like confetti storm and back-up dancers dressed as aliens, wearing inflatables strapped to their limbs, our leader certainly took us there.
4. MIND-BLOWING, TRIP-WORTHY VISUALS. From swinging 40 feet in the air in fur to walking on stilt-sized stilettos in straight jackets, just about every song in the show had its own background video that lit up the stadium.
5. SPECIAL GUEST T.I. Need we say more? The famed rapper came running out onstage to sing "Jewels N’ Drugs," and the crowd went wild.
6. THE THROWBACKS. Though mother monster played every song from ARTPOP, she also included a few of her greatest hits—including “Bad Romance,” “Alejandro,” “Telephone,” “Poker Face,” “Just Dance,” and “Paparazzi.”
7. THE MONSTERS. Gaga read aloud several letters thrown onto the stage by her adoring fans, and magically, their writers were projected onto a big screen. "Come backstage after the show," she purred, and through tears of joy, the Little Monsters nodded YES.
8. “I LOVE NEW YORK LIFE,” sang Gaga in her encore, an altered rendition of “Gypsy” that brought the show home and reminded her fans that no matter where she goes, she’ll always be in New York City.